Saturday, July 10, 2010

We moved around the various items of the Warangal fort that are placed in an enclosure.

In the saDSC04248me enclosure at a distance, there is the Gun Powder room.  To reach this  place, we need to go to the farther corner of the enclosure, climb a platform which clearly is the basement of a ruined palace. The floor of the platform is carved with beautiful designs. These are totally neglected now and there is every danger that they are stolen. We move on this platform, jump a small wall and reach the Gun Powder Room.

As mentioned earlier, the Gun Powder room resembleDSC04255s a Siva shrine with its round pillars and secluded from the other constructions. The reason could have been to avoid any damage to the main structure as it was filled with weapons then. On  closer look, you would see that there is no sanctum and there is a wooden door. The inside of the structure is cool and suits for a nice break as Warangal is a hotter place for most of the year. There are maDSC04261ny pieces of art lying in the bushes which are extremely beautiful. The panel of Goddess Lakshmi and a couple of flower panels are worth a mention. There are a couple of pink sand stone slabs with inscription on them. All these on the verge of destruction. I did not see any steps that the State Archaeology Department should be taking to preserve these.

We had a well earned break at this place and moved on to the Khush Mahal which falls on the way back.

Sitab Khan’s (1504 - 1512) palace, also called as the Khush Mahal is a rectangular structure with measurements as 16x38x12. This spacious palace isDSC04278 build in the Indo - Islamic style of architecture. This would have been used as an audience hall considering its size. However it was probably built during the 14th century Tughlak occupation of the fort, the only building from that period. Its sharply sloping walls  are a typical feature of Tughlak architecture. The longer east and west walls of the building have a projecting parapet and six high arches framed by narrow rectangles. These admit light to the interior. A wide entrance arch on the north wall leads to a single spacious DSC04286chamber inside with small storage rooms on each side.

This monument has been converted into a museum where various Hindu and Jain pieces of art are placed. The most beautiful are the wall panels and window mesh both made of stone. The roof of the palace was rebuilt in the year 2003. There is an inscription about the rule of Sitab Khan at the entrance. Transverse arches span the high ceiling. Broken fragments from the Svayambhu enclosure and Jain temples are placed inside the hall and near the north entrance.

We moved from Warangal to Hanumakonda where we had a darshan of the Goddess Bhadrakali, the royal deity of the Kakatiya dynasty. We had lunch and then visited the world famous Thousand Pillar Temple.

1 comments:

Team G Square said...

Lovely place, should plan a visit in coming days .

Post a Comment